Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sto Spiti!


I went on my first day trip today!  My first real traveling experience here!  Sweeeet.

So.  I woke up at 6:30 (after going to bed at 2, which is early for me, I've been consistantly falling asleep at 3) We met to go on the metro but we couldn't transfer to the line we wanted to because it was out of order. So we took a bus out to the part of track that was working, missed the ferry by 10 minutes so chilled for an hour and a half in Boston's Cafe/Restaurant. Then we took a 1.5 hour ferry out to Aegina.  We walked a monastary (for the most recently cannonized saint of the Greek Orthodox church) , and before that walked around the island a little.  It was gorrrrgeous.  And hunger-inducing.  We had totally awesome seafood, including probably the freshest fish I've ever had.  (Given I'm from the midwest, not that hard to accomplish, but still)  All in all, it was an awesome day.

The title of this post means "at home" as in "Yianni einai sto spiti!"  It refers both to a random quote from the day (as will most titles that make no sense) but also the fact that my apartment here has stopped feeling like a place I can sleep to a place I am actually living.  Crossing the sqaure to get to my block really made me feel like I was entering my space today. It was nice.  My mood changes so quickly here, we'll see if the feeling stays.  But for now, its good.

Now on to pictures!







I ended up eating one of these!  Soooo fresh.




 I don't know why, but I really really like the Greek flag.


This is a walk that supposedly has 300 chapels on it.  Each family was allowed its own church back in the day.


Views from the monastary



View from the Orthodox church.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful -- did you get to eat the seafood looking out over the Aegean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK these pictures are getting me excited about coming to Greece

    ReplyDelete