Wednesday, February 4, 2009

California Squid

My class just got cancelled! Ten minutes before it was supposed to start. Sweet! Good thing I'm glued to my computer here.

My family wants pictures, and pictures they shall get.

I decided to go out exploring in Pangratti yesterday because I have been spending too much time in my room doing nothing interesting. Plus, I needed to take some pictures of my own. I started by hitting up the grocery store that's literally under my apartment. I really really want to figure out something to do with these. Anybody have any thoughts on what to do with a whole frozen octopus? Or... what's the other thing? A squid. Noone else in my apartment really likes fish though, so I don't know if I'll ever really be able to make this dream come true.

However, I did get to make one food-related dream come true yesterday. These are two of the Greek snack foods I've been hankering for. Most of the stuff you see is either American like Lays chips, they have salt and vinegar, and barbeque (though they call it oriental barbeque for whatever reason) and Oreos, or familiar from other parts of Europe like
Hobnobs and digestive biscuits yummm. They put oregano on EVERYTHING here, so oregano
chips seemed pretty "authentic" (oi, food studies class last semester made me hate that word) Greek. And these croissants in a bag are everywhere. I've been obsessed with them since I first saw them in the grocery store. My roommate thinks I'm an idiot for buying them,
since we can get real croissants at the delicious bakery down the street. But I had to have one. And seriously! This one is called Trendy. What really did me in though was the brown pile on the front of the package which was delightfully reminiscent of the dog droppings that are all over the streets here.
So, verdicts.
Oregano chips: tasty. 2 out of 2 roommates polled agreed with me. One added that they were different, but maintained that they were still tasty.
Trendy bagged croissant: pretty awful. 2 out of 2 roommates asked refused to try it. Poor sports I say. It tasted vaguely of cardboard, plastic, and bread. Not even buttery really. And the chocolate filling was your typical overly sweet sticky processed chocolaty-type substance. Better than chocolate fillings you would get in processed stuff in the states. But still highly (and unsurprisingly) inferior to the filling in the pain au chocolat I got from the bakery the other day. Oh well. I'm still kind of in love with these croissants though. There are many other brands. Including ones with spongebob. I will almost certainly try this experiment again.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a grill?

    Ohtapodi sta Kavourna - Chargrilled Octopus:

    Tender Octopus Tentacles chargrilled with Olive Oil, Lemon and Oregano

    Really really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that hobnobs were taking over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there's this website grouprecipes.com and its pretty cool. you can put in ingredients that you have and it generates recipes for you.

    ReplyDelete