Sunday, April 26, 2009

I would cut my foot for some sweet jewelry.

So, I've had no internet in my apartment since I got home from Spring Break, and have been busy entertaining friends who came to visit. First Ashley, Margaret, Kayleigh, and their friend Taylor from UCL came to town after meeting us in Santorini.  Then a day after they left, Gina came and I've been showing her around.  Magically, the internet is back in my apartment! So I can finally mention some things about my spring break, but that's going to have to wait because first I have to talk about the epic adventure I had last night.

I gave up on Athens nightlife long ago.  The greeks never dance, espeically to American music, and I just hadn't had any enjoyable nightlife experiences.  I came to Europe expecting to spend late nights flailing around to sweet house beats, but Athens has a dearth of discos or dance clubs.  But then Gina came to visit, and was of the opinion that it was unacceptable that we haven't been going out.  Thursday night after she got here we went out to a bar and got warm honey wine, which was delicious, and we got comped warm honey raki, which was less delicious. We met some boys, I made out with a guy named Γιαννης which was pretty fantastic.  So I was actually feeling positive about nightlife in Athens.  And then last night happened.

We decided to go to a place with a reputation as a foreigner's club, because people actually dance there (because they're not from Greece).  On the walk over, my shoes broke.  Which was my own damn fault because my mother told me they were going to break, but I thought I could get away with wearing them once.  I was wrong. Always listen to your mother.  Anways, by 12:30, everything was still empty, but we ended up talking to an Athenian guy on the street who told us that the club we we'd been planning to go to would get good in half an hour, so we sat down, ordered a beer, and chatted until the dancing got going.  As we finished our drinks a good song came on, so we got really excited and went out to the dance floor.  Within thirty seconds, someone had dropped a glass.  I moved out of the way because I had taken off my shoes and didn't want to cut myself.  Within another 30 seconds, someone else dropped a glass, which shattered, and then shot across the dance floor and in to my foot.  I hobbled over to a couch, inspected it for glass, and tried to pretend it wasn't that bad of a cut.  Then we realized that there was a pool of blood the size of a dinner plate accumulating under my foot.  We hobbled down to the bathroom to check it for glass and wrap it up in toilet paper then caught a cab to the hospital.  The one the cab took us to was apparently a public hospital, which meant I probably would have had to wait for hours to get treated, so we hopped in to another cab to the private hospital.  At this point, I have to pee like mad.  I spent the entire cab ride complaining about the fact that I have to pee, to the point that I considered making the driver pull over to a gas station or something.  I'm pretty sure I was absurdly irritating to my friends who were with me, but I seriously almost peed in this guys back seat.  We finally made it there, I was put in to an operating room directly after the bathroom.  Then I got to watch them operate on me!  It was only something like... 8 stitches or so, but I have to go back tomorrow to get it checked out.  For now I'm on antibiotics and confined to my apartment because I can't really put weight on my left foot.  Everyone is being super sweet.  My one roommate bought me cookies, another one went to the pharmacy for me to get my antibiotics.  And the VP of CYA, who was on call last night and spent multiple hours in the hospital with us, called me three times today to make sure I was all set.  So yeah, I've now been operated on in a foreign country.  The night was certainly one for the books.

1 comment: